What is depression?
Depression (also known as clinical depression or major depressive disorder) is a serious mental health condition. It is different from sadness or grief. Depression can negatively affect how you act, feel, and think. It can lead to various physical and emotional problems and can decrease an individual’s ability to function at school, work, and at home.
Depression can affect anyone at any age. There are several risk factors for depression, including genetics, environmental factors, biochemistry, and personality.
What are the signs and symptoms of depression?
Depression symptoms can vary from mild to severe. Symptoms can include:
- Pessimism and Hopelessness
- Trouble Concentrating
- Chronic Fatigue
- Changes in Appetite (overeating or loss of appetite)
- Changes in Sleeping Patterns (insomnia or hypersomnia)
- Feelings of Guilt, Worthlessness, and Helplessness
- Loss of Interest in Previously Enjoyed Activities
- Aches and Pains That Wouldn’t Go Away
- Persistent Sadness or “Empty” Feelings
- Thoughts of Death or Suicide
*Symptoms must last for at least two weeks to be diagnosed with depression.
How can Prime Behavioral Health help?
Fortunately, depression is considered one of the most treatable mental disorders. At Prime Behavioral Health, we offer different therapy treatments (i.e. psychotherapy, electroconvulsive therapy) and medications (i.e. antidepressants). Medications can be taken in combination with getting therapy treatments.
You Can Talk to Us
We are here for you. Please contact us at 301-477-2128 if you need help. If you would like to meet with one of our therapists, we invite you to Set An Appointment now.